Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Sunday, August 17, 2008
While still in Makati (the Philippines), I was asked by my close Filipino friend to stand not just as sponsor but also as Ninong (Godfather) to his wedding. So, since I was still young then, my presence might not really serve the purpose intended - this is actually my first brush with the intricacy of tying the knot. But, he insisted and reasoned that being a foreigner would do well with his in-laws.

Off we go, we started out by asking the hand of her fiance in marriage. Although they both met and became sweethearts in the big city, it is customary that we go to the barrio and ask the parents in a formal ceremony.

As part of the rite, we have to bring in food and drinks because it becomes the duty of the groom to feed the family of the bride during this special occasion. In fact my friend said, that he was happy that his in-laws has a modern perception of marriage, because nothing was asked as dowry as guarantee for the marriage. In the olden times, grooms were obliged to offer gifts like a few hectares of land, jewelries, a dozen heads of cattle, 100 goats or maybe a thousand chicken.

So, donned in traditional Barong (suit used during formal occasions) we went to her hometown. I immediately noticed that the residence had a makeover, complete with buntings and a few floral design flags posted on the entrance gate. We were ushered in, and immediately the ritual began. My friend formally asked that they be married and I in turn stood as solitary witness to his noble intension.

Then the wedding date was agreed upon and a few names were mentioned responsible for the wedding preparation and dinner was served to seal the agreement.


by: The Flagman