Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Thursday, December 25, 2008
While growing up, me, my mom and dad used to frequent the KFC joint a stones-throw from the movie theater in our community. My memory speaks of weekends where we usually spend some time in the supermarket and movies, then dine at the KFC before calling it a day. So, it helped me create an opinion that Kentucky is simply fried chicken.

While in college, I learned a lot more about Kentucky, particularly the contribution it made to the union, the products it shares with other states and the sights that tourists frequent. Also as I mature, I've developed a liking to racehorses and it brought me closer to Kentucky simply because of the thrill of the Kentucky Horse Derby happening at Churchill Downs.

Kentucky is not just fried chicken, but a thousand times more and like its residents I have come to recognize the Kentucky State Flag, the emblem of a people who brought the "fastest two minutes in sports." The state flag consists of the commonwealth's seal placed against a navy blue field, a form that has served the state since 1928.

In detail the seal shows two friends in an embrace, one in buckskin on the left and the other in suit on the right. The popular belief is that of Daniel Boone who was responsible for the exploration of much of Kentucky and Henry Clay, the state's most famous statesman. Official explanation does not refer to the two gentlemen, but that it represents all frontiersmen and statesmen.

The words "Commonwealth of Kentucky" surrounds the figures above and sprigs of goldenrod, the state flower below, and encircling is the state motto "United We Stand, Divided We Fall."


by: The Flagman