Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Sunday, August 24, 2008
I grew up among the poor folks in New York, attended public schools, literally crawled my way to college. That is, I was a recipient of a scholarship but had to do a lot of odd jobs to support myself in the process. But fate really had its way I was able to graduate and landed with a stable job.

Maybe due to my upbringing, I don't feel comfortable with people around particularly during parties. Even during company gatherings if I can help it would try to shy away, better for me to do overtime than party. Have I become anti-social?

But I enjoy being with the ordinary folks, the underprivileged, the poorest of the poor. One time, while I was stationed in Asia, I asked the local orphanage if I could sponsor a party to the orphaned children in time for my birthday. So instead of a party, I intend to spend the special day together with the orphans.

At the appointed day, I asked the services of the local fast food chain - was it Jollibee together with its mascot. They are to decorate the place, provide food and drinks to the children and a little show.

As I entered the orphanage hall, I was impressed with the preparation decked with decorative banners all over and a large Happy Birthday flag. Obviously seeing my name on the flag already made me really touched and happy, but when the orphans sang the happy birthday medley, I feel a lump in my throat and welts in my eyes.

This was the best Birthday celebration ever, and as memento, the children handed me a large and folded party banner.


by: The Flagman