Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Monday, September 8, 2008
As I was going through my office files, an envelope fell - a decade old letter from a friend and a really close buddy. I was about to open it, when my phone rang. What greeted me from the other end of the line was sad, news that my friend had died from combat duty in Afghanistan.

I just stood for a moment, stunned as if cold water has been poured all over me. You see we were actually cousins - his father being my mom's brother and not just buddies. My friend was only 4 months older than I am and we grew up together. We shared everything, from toothpaste to socks, food and toys, we went to school together, we lived on the same dormitory and at one time we shared the same girlfriend - that is we dated identical twins and we had a hard time distinguishing one from the other.

And now he is dead, dead from a war he truly believed in. This letter was his last from the post because his succeeding messages were from e-mails (I introduced him to the wonders of Internet) and we do communicate almost weekly particularly when he was stationed in the military base in Germany.

So, I flew hastily to the American base where his remains will come in, to see my friend for the last time and comfort his widow and two kids. And when finally his casket came into view, it was carried by six military personnel probably also his war buddies and draped by an imposing American Flag.

The sight brought back memories, but I'm comforted by the fact that he died a hero in the service of our country.


by: The Flagman