Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Monday, September 1, 2008
For the past week my 9-year old daughter has been pestering me with her request for the Japanese National costume. My instant query was - why would you need a Japanese costume? Well, later I knew that the school is engaged in the celebration of the United Nations Day - October 24th. To add spice to the celebration, the school is staging a parade of nations with our children dressed in costumes of different countries, particularly those members of the United Nations.

Since my daughter was assigned the country Japan, we brought my daughters costume at a Japanese restaurant. A Japanese friend was working at a restaurant and we requested him to look for a costume that would fit my daughter, since all costumes available are for adults, we have to order custom made. Luckily, my friend's mother was on vacation in the US and she was the one responsible for sewing the costume.

After a few days, the dress was ready but we still have to scout for a matching fan and parasol, which was also hard to find considering that it was for a child. But we got it just the same from an antique Japanese store. The last part of the puzzle was a medium sized Japanese flag which was supplied to us by NorthStar Flags and Poles.

On the appointed day, my friend's mother accompanied us for she coached my daughter how to act like a Japanese damsel, in fact she did my daughters make-up to make her appear like a true Japanese.

At the end of the presentation, my daughter was awarded a special prize - for having worn the most authentic national costume.


by: The Flagman