Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Tuesday, September 9, 2008
When I was watching BBC news, I caught site of a familiar name, an American casualty in the ongoing war in Iraq. I called to confirm the sad news and probably to offer condolences to the family, our subdivision neighbor in Los Angeles.

True enough the news item was correct, as both his parents - esteemed members of the academe, related to me in detail how their son died while manning a sentry point outside of Baghdad. In fact I was asked to come for the funeral, to show solidarity with our neighborhood, particularly in this time of grief and sorrow not only for family and friends but also the entire county, for having lost a distinguished son.

I made reservations, and proceeded immediately to the church where mass and services were held for our fallen hero. I noticed that upon entering our county, both the State Flag and American Flag on government buildings had been flown in half-mast as ordered by the Governor, a tribute to a son who shed his life for the service of his country.

I followed the funeral cortege to the internment site. The funeral march was really a show of force, of bereaved people because a thousand mourners in cars joined the procession. Then at the gravesite, the casket draped by an American Flag was finally lowered to the ground amidst the sound of a 21gun salute.

Without intending to be, I stared at the military personnel as it folded the American Flag neatly thirteen times and handed it to the widow as memento.

Then as we marched back, I thought of how many more fallen heroes would sacrifice their lives to serve the ideals of democracy.


by: The Flagman