Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Thursday, September 11, 2008
When I enjoyed staying in a place, always expect me to return to reminisce once again the traits that impressed me in the first place. Like when I first visited Koh Phi Phi, Thailand, mostly referred in the fliers as the Temptation Island. Indeed, it was aptly described because you will really savor not just the scenery, the continuous stretch of beaches, the food but also the hospitality the locals extend to tourist.

I'm interested in my second visit to the famed island because I want to experience first hand how it coped after a tsunami hit Southeast Asia. From the accounts I've heard and footage I saw on TV, more than a hundred people perished here and totally wiped out the infrastructure of the island.

True enough, when I arrived at the island not a single familiar landmark could be seen. Even the large tree that used to mark the junction of the pathways, with shops on both sides was also gone, all reclaimed by the sea. I tried to look for the concrete foundations of the flagpoles that flew hundreds of colorful blank flags that greet tourists alighting from makeshift boats are gone as well.

I booked at the functioning resort at the time and the same mode that made the island famous, were also extended to us. The only difference now is reconstruction is evident in the areas fronting the beaches. In fact during the day, when heat is intolerable we tourist's help out and do some volunteer works, to help the island literally rise on its feet.

A semblance of what the island used to be is slowly being felt, as capital is pouring in and resorts are springing-up like mushrooms.


by: The Flagman