Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Thursday, June 4, 2009

It was a Sunday many years ago when my cousin first brought home a girlfriend. He was in medical school and was practically about to graduate after more than a decade in there. He met her in a club, and later admitted she was an entertainer in Japan. So that will explain the monthly chocolates and postcards we received on our front door, not to mention the white and red replica flags and stickers.

I was in college myself then, and whenever the girl was in the house I opted to get out and to not go back until I was ready to slumber. She liked walking around the small house in her underwear, see. Sometimes in Japan flag prints. But I did not like that. We weren't raised like that. My cousin made me promise to not tell anybody about the girl she was seeing. You had to be educated to be welcomed in the family.

When I was away at school, they'd stay indoors and do God only knows what. One day I arrived to a heated conversation inside. My meticulous aunt had paid a surprise visit. I was scared I might be dragged into the mess. I kept silent the entire time because my cousin made me swear, but I knew I was in a bigger mess for not saying anything at all. My aunt phoned her sister, my cousin's mother. And from there things were just blown out of proportion.

We found out the girl was already carrying my cousin's child. What's more, we learned that my cousin had long dropped out from med school, utterly blowing apart the world his parents had built for him. He was sent home to the province and was forced to leave the girl. But a few months before she gave birth, the woman flew to our province as well. The family had no choice but to take her in. She was broke and she was pregnant with the poor child that carried our blood in his veins.

Seven years later and they are the picture of a perfect, happy family. My cousin never turned out to be a doctor, but he's doing well as a medical representative. The woman is also well-accepted by the entire family now. We had been very judgmental. She is a good person, she's a good wife, and more importantly, a great mother to their two sons.


by: The Flagman