Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Wednesday, March 4, 2009
A few days ago, our street celebrated its patron saint's feast day. Our small community had been doing that for years, but this year was entirely different. My mother almost annoyed me for saying every so often how merry this year's celebration was. As if trying to make me feel like I missed a substantial part of my life.

Colorful banners and pennant streamers of all sizes are put up weeks before the feast day. Prayers and novenas and games for the kids and adults alike are assembled every night that is always with an abundance of food and drinks. That is how I remember our annual fiesta growing up. It has been two years since I last joined in the celebrations and it's sad I did not get to join in now.

For this year's activities, everything was more elaborate. Everybody in the street was involved and the chairman made sure everything was detailed and ornate. A major soda company offered and erected tents for the festivity as well as booths with sufficient supply of their products. It was the first time anyone ever did. A digital surround system was reportedly set up as well, thanks to our restaurant owner of a neighbor. A stage was put up for a band that was invited to perform. A temporary basketball court was also built for the mini tournament that gave away cash prizes. My brother also unpredictably sponsored his own darts tournament right in our garage. He never really joined in during these kinds of activities, but I told you this year was different. I do not know what has gotten into him. Guests trooped into our house when no one really ever did before except our relatives.

So it was all kind of like an extended holiday season for everybody in there while I mourned over school. What a shame.


by: The Flagman