Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Thursday, March 12, 2009
The Australian Open 2009 in Melbourne recently wrapped up without me watching a single game. I did not see Andy, not even heard Maria's cry. I feel wretched. It is one of the small number of annual sports events I have always been anticipating. This year, I even almost totally forgot about it had I not heard in the evening news that Roger Federer lost to 22-year-old Rafael Nadal.

I can't even still believe that Rafa is only four years older than I am. He looks thirty, if you ask me. And I still can't believe he just won against Roger - again. I mean, every time Andy brings to and end his bid, it is always Roger I am rooting for. Roger the cool one. Roger the humble one. Roger who could pretend he is twenty-two and would still pull it off.

Rafa - he never got my interest. In high school, I felt sick just seeing him in his signature knee-length shorts and sleeveless top, with the matching headband tucked in a mound of unkempt blonde hair, and who habitually pulled his shorts out of his butt. But I hated him mostly because he was good, was young and promising, whilst Andy was slowly creeping his way out of the top ten and was not getting any younger; Andy who would yell at the umpire if his shot was called out, Andy who flung his racket a lot out of obstruction. I could not blame the guy.

Now Roger broke down after losing to Rafa - currently the world's number one tennis player. I never saw anyone cry like that in the AU Open before. Especially not a man. But that did not alter my fascination for him. It only made me like him even more. And Rafa will not be hated from now on. He gave Roger a little hug and in his speech said his apologies for beating him which the crowd found amusing. I appreciate his compassion towards Roger and how he's feeling. You gotta love both men.

As Roger delivered his heartbreaking speech, and as he marched out of the Rod Laver Arena, in the midst of the cheering crowd wagging Switzerland's flag and some also waving the flag of Spain, he brought with him the respect of not only those who were there present at the game, but of every person who had seen him that night in every nook and cranny of the world as well. He is unquestionably one of the world's finest (and humblest) players.


by: The Flagman