Custom Street Pole Banners - Custom Feather Flags


Friday, June 5, 2009

I went to Japan a couple of years ago and it had been an amazing trip. What's more amazing is that it had been quite social. You see, while a lot of people go there to see Tokyo and the most up-to-date technologies it presents, I went there for an enriching and literary sojourn. I was one of the lucky members of an organization sent to Japan to study the rich and resonant culture of the Japanese.

I landed in Japan at the same time the cherry blossoms were at their loveliest: charming trees with a million little flowers of soft pink called sakura in Japanese - one of the best sights in the world indeed. From Tokyo, I travelled to the countryside where the culture was just like as it was many, many years ago. I lived with a foster family who welcomed me with the warmest of all welcomes.

My first day at the local school dawned and I was nothing but anxious. For how in the world would my classmates and teachers understand me? Or worse, how will I understand them? My okasa prepared a special bento box for me which she lovingly settled inside my rucksack. I bowed and walked my way to school.

It was a bit cloudy that day, but even the clouds couldn't conceal the magnificence of the place. I was in awe. The school building was relatively small, settled in a slightly elevated terrain. To me it looked amazing. The country's red-and-white flag danced along with the trees to the chilly wind. Students whose cheeks were as red as the huge dot on the Japanese flag walked past from every direction in their uniforms that were too cute for an alien like me. Little kids were starting the day with games and the teenaged ones with fresh gossip.

It had been hard to understand their modest English speaking skills, but I greatly appreciated them for the effort nonetheless. During my entire stay, I have learned heaps: how to deal with people of another culture, how to respect another nations traditions and everything about Japan Well, almost.

It had been a challenging and testing trip, and yes I didn't get to take a tour around the country capital, but I sure went home with a smile.



by: The Flagman